Outdoor news and information from industry insiders

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Gear Review - Down Jackets

I was looking into my gear closet and I noticed that my once down filled jacket will no longer do for a pillow in the summer, never mind going to the Himalayas, it's time for a new jacket. Teary eyed, I gave up my 10 year old Rab down jacket to the local thrift store and headed out to do some research.

I was drawn to two jackets the Marmot Ama Dablam and the Patagonia Down Sweater.


The Ama Dablam jacket has 650+ fill goose down with an adjustable down filled hood that packs down really well, but will keep me warm in May in the Markha Valley. I also liked the Drimclime chin guard for days when we are heading into a wind. The pockets on the inside and outside are actually big enough to put a headlamp, map etc in them. The fit on the Ama Dablam for an athletic woman, well, it fit's, other jackets you know have made a smaller version of the men's.















The Down Sweater as 800 goose down without a hood. The Patagonia Down Sweater weighs only 10oz and packs down to a small chalk ball. The 800 down fill gives you the added advantage of packing down while lofting better. The zippers on the Down Sweater are lightweight but can easily catch while trying to open and close pockets.




It was a hard choice but I choose the Marmot Ama Dablam becasue of the insulated hood and the Drimclime chin guard, knowing that Himalayan temperatures will drop to +15 or less at night.
Bentgear.com
"Geared for Adventure"

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home